This week’s One Floor Up Q&A is coming at yoru a few days early because of the holiday. We’re excited to share a few nuggets of info about the tallest member of our team, Jon Flacke. This 6′ 5″ blondie is a OFU Partner, an awesome producer and is also our most adventurous team member. Jon can often be found jetting to some little know part of the country (or world) for a kayaking trip or to climb a mountain (sometimes both!) So buckle up for these quick fire questions!
- How different was your life one year ago? Not different enough. This question reminds me of something a dear friend recently said to me. “Do something new and different every day, or your life will fly by in a flash.” This year went by really fast, I probably need some more change.
- Where is the most interesting place you’ve been?I’m tempted to say, swimming over the Mariana Trench, 120 miles off the coast of the Mariana Islands in the Pacific Ocean. It’s the deepest part of any ocean. But honestly, I can’t say it was all that interesting, it was pretty similar to swimming in other places. But I once ran in an informal race up Margala Hills just outside of Islamabad Pakistan. Standing on top, completely out of breath, and looking out over a city I never thought I’d see, something inside me changed. Over the next year, I met so many amazing people from the foothills of the Himalaya in Pakistan to the rolling sand dunes of the Sinai Peninsula. It took some time to look back on this period in my life and realize just how interesting it was.
- What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way? I’ll answer this with a link to a scene from one of my all time favorite 90’s Sci Fi movies. You’re welcome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67DN3uvwXkE
- What game or movie universe would you most like to live in? It’s a collection of novel’s by Kim Stanley Robinson: Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars. The books chronicle the colonization and terraforming of Mars. And if it really happened that way, I’d totally live on Mars. People are healthy and live for like 200 years in this series, so you’ve got plenty of time to take in the fully transformed and breathtaking Mars landscape.
- What irrational fear do you have? Really big crowds, the type that could trample you to death.
- What would be your spirit animal (and why)? My spirit animal is the river otter. They play all day in the river, and they only live in the cleanest, most pristine waterways. They seem really relaxed laying on their backs, basking in the sun.
- What is something you will NEVER do again? Bungee jump – specifically in Poroy-Cusco, Peru – but probably nowhere on earth. It was my little brother’s idea, and he can do that sh*t by himself next time.
There you have it, answers that took us all over the world! Jon you are a true traveler.
Thanks for revealing some of your experiences and perspectives. Now come home from your Kayak trip already, we miss you!